Satka Metallurgical Mill (Satka Chugunoplavilny Zavod / SCHPZ)
Satka Metallurgical Mill (formerly Satka Pig-Iron Smelting Mill) spans its lifetime of active production over nearly three centuries, having begun producing 960 metric tons in year 1759 and 42,986 metric tons in 1913 and seen as one of the biggest metallurgical working plants in the Southern Urals in its days. During the Napoleonic War, the First and Second World War, the mill contributed to the war efforts by producing grenades and bombs. In the post-war years the mill further contributed to the local community by building condominiums (heated with energy from its hydro-electrical power station generated at the mill) as well as building a school and a kindergarten. In Soviet times it was the only mill in Russia that could pride itself in having received the GOST 805- certification for its pig-iron. The mill switched to the production of High Carbon Ferromanganese in 2002 due to drastic changes in the economic structure in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union.
At present Satka Metallurgical Mill (in Russian named Satka Chugunoplavilny Zavod / SCHPZ) operates on two blast furnaces, with many parts of the production line being constantly refurbished and renewed as with the newest addition of its sintering plant. These efforts were rewarded with an ISO 9001:2001 certificate on the 2nd of June 2008 (Certificate RU227146), which was especially rewarding since the mill celebrated its 250th anniversary in November 2008! At present the mill focuses its attention on matters of optimizing the use of non-replaceable energy sources and technological innovation of the production process as well as making optimal use of local energy and mineral resources in the Ural Mountains area. SCHPZ is constantly researching and developing possibilities for innovation and diversification of its production.
The production figures show that SCHPZ has accumulated considerable expertise and know-how in blast-furnace operations, which ranks the mill amongst one of most efficient manganese converters. SCHPZ has set up an exchange of information with several of the world best specialists on further improvement of the manganese yield. Please refer to the product specifications page for further information on our High Carbon Ferromanganese.
Satka Metallurgical Mill company website - http://www.shpz.ru
Kramatorsk Ferroalloy Factory (Kramfer)
The mills history, located in eastern part of Ukraine, begins from the year 1896 when the mechanical plant started its operations with a staff of 400 people. Two years later, blast furnaces № 1 and № 2 were launched and the first pig iron production was supplied. By year 1899, the mill had employed approximately 2000 people. In years 1901-1904, the production of pig iron tripled and reached 73.7 thousand tons. In 1903, its engineer of the factory, Mr. Kurako, initiated a new construction of blast furnace which would show improved parameters compared to existing furnaces. The mill had its own school, football teams, football field and swimming pool, fire brigade, sport society, and a local newspaper. Among its workers were nationals from various countries such as Ukrainians, Russians, Germans, Czech, Polish and Austrians. In 1910, it began its rolling mill operations and by 1916 the plant employed 4084 people. In 1920, by resolution of the Ukrainian government, the plant was nationalized and renamed as Kramatorsky State Engineering and Metallurgical plant (in Ukrainian abbreviation КГММЗ or КГМЗ). Later on, the enterprise was divided into two mills: Starokramatorsky Engineering Plant and Kramatorsky Metallurgical Plant. In 1950, Kramatorsky Metallurgical Plant launched its blast furnace № 4 while existing blast furnace № 3 turned to production of Ferromanganese. In 1994, the state enterprise was reorganized into open joint stock company «Kramatorsky Metallurgical Plant name of Kuibyshev». However, subsequent years saw turbulent times due to faults in operations; in 2000 it stopped operations from its blast furnace № 3, in 2007 an accident occurred at blast furnace № 4 and in 2008 repaired and launched again, and in 2009 blast furnace № 4 stopped operations due to the fall of demand of pig iron, and in 2012 blast furnace № 3 was disassembled.
However, in 2010 the mill transformed into a new enterprise “Kramatorsk Ferroalloy Factory” which brought with it an active change of management, change in operation processes and complete technological renewal. To this day, there remains an active reconstruction of the plant, in order to allow its production of ferroalloys to use a unique technology to meet the most stringent requirements of the production environment and global ferroalloys market. Kramfer consists of an industrial complex of basic and auxiliary production facilities that allow for the production of ferromanganese amounting to 150,000 metric tons per year.
Kramatorsk Ferroalloy Factory company website - http://kramfer.com